Monday, April 19, 2010

Clique-ness

As I was stumbling through the pages of facebook, I realized something.

I'm not as close to some of the people as I used to be. I doubt I'm alone in this realization. Not all of us are extremely close to all of our 'friends.'

However, the closeness struck me for a different reason. I realized that some of the people that I used to be close to were/are apart of a couple different cliques.

I don't really consider myself a clique person. I like to be everyone's friend (so to speak) and I also don't enjoy being mean to others. It seems a few of the cliques were/are about being mean or hating someone or a group of people. That's not really me at all!

Its funny to think that some of those people I used to consider myself at least a little close too. I was always around them when I had free time. Of course, that included nights drinking together. I suppose I wasn't as close as I thought.

In a way I miss the people I used to consider so near and so dear. I have fond memories of friendships beginning. I also wonder if my shyness pushed people away. But...I also think of something I've been told. "Not everyone in your life is meant to be around for the long haul." I sometimes wonder how things went wrong.

I probably sound like the chick in a romantic comedy right now,wondering why the guy hasn't called her yet.

I suppose I shouldn't worry about some of the people I've lost touch with. If they mattered that much they would've lasted. Obviously, I will survive with or without them. No ill will or bad feelings exist.


I stopped trying to fit in a long time ago. I decided I was going to just be me. I listen to whatever music I want. I wear what I want to wear. I don't know if this was a part of my 'not fitting in.'

Also, at the time-frame being spoken of, I was still a little shy. I would say over the past year or so I've really come into my own. I feel as though I am getting closer and closer to who I am and making that person happy. Of course, along the way I've learned some tough life lessons.

But....back to the cliques.

I presumed they were a high school phenomenon. I'm not too sure of that assertion at the moment.

I am sure of two things. First, I marvel at how they stay alive. Second, I don't foresee myself 'joining' one. I suppose if I am to be considered a part of a clique it could be out of happenstance.

Do you have any clique stories?

No comments: